Friday, March 25, 2016

The 5 Shoes: Running Shoes

Today's shoe is everyone's favorite, I'm sure! Running shoes provide protection from the ground under foot. If fitted properly, they provide support to our arches and ankles. This makes us less likely to get shin splints or roll our ankle. They are also cushioned to relieve pressure on our muscles. All of this help us to run faster, longer, and harder.

That is our call as Christians! To run the race set before us with perseverance. To run for the prize while keeping our eyes on Christ! Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Hebrews 12:1

What race is this talking about? The life we are called to live in Christ. How are we to run this race? With strict training, not aimlessly, but to win.

I ran cross country track in high school. We only had 3 or 4 girls on our team, but we competed against schools with 20+. Most of the girls on the big teams were not really runners. They ran slow and bunched up talking to each other. This blocked the path for the rest of us. They ran and got their picture in the yearbook, but they didn't run to win the race.

We can all run. We may not all want to, but we certainly can. However, we are not all fixed on the prize. Some of us just fill space or block the path. Their goal is not to win, but just to be there.

Then there are those who run to win! They train hard, eat healthy, sacrifice time for things that offer more immediate gratification. All to ensure success!

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that  will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

These athletes lace up their shoes and get ready to run. No matter what blocks their path, how bad they feel along the way, they muster up everything inside of them to finish the race and finish it well.

Our focus should be the same; to train hard, run vigorously, and finish well! This means constantly growing spiritually, serving tirelessly, and loving unconditionally. It looks like self-control and discipline, and dedication.

Now remember, this is not a race to earn salvation. That is a free gift from God! It is given to us by grace through faith in Christ, not by works. (Ephesians 2:8-10) We are saved to do good works for God, so that others may see Him through us.

Our prize in this race is to hear God say, "Well done my good and faithful servant." To know that when our race is finished, we ran hard after Christ. To make sure we shared His love with as many people as possible before we hit the finish line. To know we did not give up when things got hard, or ran aimlessly just to say we were on the team. Our goal is to finish well!

We must put on our running shoes and lace them up tight! This is not an option! When we are not wearing them, they must be with us; ready to put back on as soon as we finish the task at hand. So dust them off if you need to and get them on. Let's run!







5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this blog post. I love how you compare things so it's easier for others to understand. I know some people who would enjoy reading as well, so I'll be sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for reading it! I am thankful you enjoyed it. Please share with others who may need it too.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this blog post. I love how you compare things so it's easier for others to understand. I know some people who would enjoy reading as well, so I'll be sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is indeed good for getting the growing information about online shopping stores in UAE. Even I have some awesome collection Running shoes at 6thstreet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love running shoes a lot even these could be the best runner gift ideas without fail. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete